Today:What Where When How?

I opened this blog to be able to comment on blogs which may limit comments to bloggers only. Since that time I have decided to commnet on what is happening in my world too.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Semmes, Alabama, United States

Old sometimes retired guy who still thinks I can do anything. Sorta like Caleb, but understanding it is not necessarly so.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Personal Update

I suppose that soon I am going to have to admit that I am 74 going on 75. Early Monday morning I was driving across the Mobile I-10 Bayway headed to Fairhope as the sun rose above the trees. Mary and I were on our way to Fairhope Alpacas to help in this year's shearing. See http://www.alpacafarmgirl.com Something like twelve hours later we were dirty and tired and grinning ear to ear while driving across the Bayway into a setting sun going home to Semmes.

We had helped shear, weigh the fleece, trim toenails, grind teeth and doctor 77 beautiful healthy Alpacas. Tuesday and to a lesser extent today I paid dearly for all the strenuous exercise I put my body through. I could sit or I could stand, but transitioning from one to the other was painful. This is the reason I am going to have to admit to my age someday soon.

We knew what we were getting ourselves into. We had done the same thing last year.
We also knew that most people our age (Mary is just a few years younger than me)would not even thinking of doing anything but watching the process. We just have to get in the fray up close and personal. We may not be able to own any of these beautiful interesting animals ourselves, but it is fun to hang with people who do.

We also came home with a bag of prime alpaca fleece. This years reward is a beautiful crimpy dark brown fleece. We will be washing, carding, and spinning it sometime this spring. What, or even when, there will be a finished product made from the fibers we helped harvest last Monday remains to be seen, but we have the satisfaction of knowing WE DID IT!

This Friday we were scheduled to assist the Mobile Museum be doing spinning demonstrations for Frontier Days at Ft. Conde. That has now been postponed until April 24th. Maybe the Good Lord knows we needed a few more days of rest?

Until next time, Mac

2 Comments:

Blogger j said...

I've driven that same drive a few times myself and my husband drives I-10 everyday.

Congratulations on an honest days work. Glad to see that even though you are sore, you have a sense of pride!

Be blessed!

9:26 PM  
Blogger Alpaca Farmgirl said...

Oh, Mac! I'm so sorry that you were so sore. Steve is feeling it too.

We are SO grateful to you both for all your help. Whenever you get ready to "just watch"-you let me know. Your presence and any help you provide is welcomed and appreciated. But just having your cheerful attitude around is enough to make our day.

Thanks again for all yours and Mary's help! Next time you come over we will have to have a leisurely spin-in or something.

11:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home